Cat Bi Airport was built by the French during the French colonial period. After the liberation of the North (1955), the airport was renovated, upgraded and officially put into operation civil aviation since 1985. The airport always belongs to the top airports with the fastest growth of passengers and goods in the country.
French colonial period:
Cat Bi Airport was formed on the basis of a large military airfield, the French air bridge in Indochina during the war years in Vietnam. There are about 200 aircraft of all kinds that regularly land, board, fly towards targets and are kept very guarded. After the attack on Cat Bi International airport, the French camp for the Dien Bien Phu campaign decreased markedly.
The passenger terminal is designed in accordance with international standards, creative and close architecture, associated with the typical image of Buffalo Fighting Festival in Do Son, Hai Phong, on an area of 7.500m2 and floor area used 15,630m2 with two highways to and from the separate, serving both domestic and international, capacity to meet 1000 passengers / peak hours, equivalent to 2 million passengers per year.